Generations of children (us included!) have grown up wearing Petit Bateau, the legendary French brand. The brand rose to prominence in 1918 when Etienne Valton, son of the brand’s founder, decided to cut off the legs of a pair of long john-style boxer shorts, and the now famous Petit Bateau cotton briefs were born! Since then, Petit Bateau has been kitting out families – from babies to adults – in the most comfortable, quality underwear, pyjamas and clothing around. Kids' fashion pioneers, Petit Bateau makes everyday essentials and basics for babies from 0 to 24 months, kids and teens, as well as women. Subtly nautically-inspired and distinctively French, the brand offers a signature selection of pieces in a number of fun colour waves, like its ultra-soft baby grows for boys and girls, its striped marinière T-Shirts and its unmistakeable raincoats and sailor jackets. Well-made to be well-loved, with Petit Bateau you’re guaranteed quality and style.
Petit Bateau has been dressing children in comfortable classics since 1893. Created by Pierre Valton in the French city of Troyes, the brand's name (which in English means "Little Boat") comes from the traditional French nursery rhyme, "Maman les p'tits bateaux qui vont sur l'eau ont-ils des jambes ?" [English translation: "Mummy, do the little boats that go out on the water have legs?"]. In 1918, Petit Bateau first came to be known for creating the first pair of modern underwear with its classic cotton briefs. Since then, the brand has become internationally regarded for its quality babies' and children's clothing, and now produces more than 4,000 tonnes of clothing annually, including 3 million T-Shirts, 4.7 million pairs of briefs and 13.5 million baby grows and undergarments.
PREMIUM QUALITY AND INTERNATIONALLY ADORED
Ultimately, it's the quality of Petit Bateau's clothes and underwear - their comfort, softness and seamless cuts - that have helped them win over the most difficult of audiences - kids! - and become the brand we know and love today. Over the years, Petit Bateau’s kids’ fashion collections have evolved and grown, while staying true to the brand’s roots and traditional know-how, quality fabrics and excellent craftsmanship. The brand’s striped marinière shirts have long been a must-have for babies and kids, while its T-shirts, rompers, underwear and raincoats have always enjoyed a similar success, both in France and abroad. Every year, Petit Bateau now sells 26 million articles of clothing and underwear worldwide, with customers in Paris, Tokyo, New York and Berlin all falling for their clothing’s charms and quality. Now internationally-recognised as a pinnacle in children’s fashion, Petit Bateau regularly collaborates with fashion and creative powerhouses including Carven, Tsumori Chisato, Christian Lacrois, Maison Kitsuné and Ines de la Fressange.
MODERN, GLOBAL SAVOIR-FAIRE
With a well-honed expertise that’s flourished for well over a century, Petit Bateau is constantly seeking to modernise and innovate its collections and modes of production. As the brand has transitioned from a small family business to the international mainstage, with 50% of its sales being international, it has been committed to maintaining its respectful, quality production. One-third of Petit Bateau’s workforce is in France (1000 employees), with its design team based in Paris, and 45% of its textile production taking place in Troyes; the other 55% takes place in their Marrakesh factory. As the brand has grown, the majority of its clothes are now expertly-made in Morocco and Tunisia, following strict international ethical guidelines outlined by WethicA to ensure their workers’ rights. Looking to do right by its clients and the planet, all the brand’s clothes for newborns, underwear and pyjamas are also made from Oeko-Tex materials.
Keeping in the spirit of Petit Bateau’s classic sailor-style looks, the team at Smallable have chosen a selection of the brand’s timeless essentials and more contemporary styles for babies, kids and women. From the brand’s iconic yellow waxed raincoats, striped marinière tops, nautical sweaters and baby grows to its comfy briefs and underwear sets, pyjamas, dresses and swimwear, we are delighted to share with you our picks from Petit Bateau’s latest collection.
96 products items of 562See the following items